Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk
This section of the page features an image gallery, so if you're using a screen reader you may wish to jump to the main content.
Carpenter’s Cottage is tucked away within the heart of Ickworth Estate This spacious Victorian cottage has a relaxed and comfortable interior and a secluded part-walled garden with access to adjacent parkland walks. For larger celebrations this cottage can be internally linked to Keeper’s Cottage next door, to become a large 5 bedroom house.
Within walking distance of Horringer village and less than 5 miles from Bury St Edmunds, Carpenter’s is ideally situated for couples or a family looking for both outdoor and cultural activities. The Cathedral cities of Cambridge, Ely and Norwich and also Newmarket races are easily within an hours drive.
The cottage's layout
- Ground floor
- Lobby, kitchen/dining room, sitting room with Victorian open fire.
- First floor
- two bedrooms (double with 5' bed and twin), bathroom with bath and separate shower.
Gas central heating included. Parking for two cars in a shared parking area closeby. A private garden to the front and side of the property.
The house is set within parkland which may be grazed by livestock - please ensure all gates are closed. The approach drive passes a pond which is a short distance from the cottage and is unfenced so children must be supervised. The cottage is close to the working farm where the park sheep are penned and handled.
- Let starts
- Min stay
- Dogs allowed
- Cottage ref
- Pub Nearby
- Open Fire / Stove
- Railway Nearby
- Celebration Collection
- Garden Appeal
- Washing Machine
- Double bed
Things to see and do nearby
- East Anglia
The ancient kingdom of East Anglia has preserved much of its unspoilt character, rural landscape, architecture and traditions with attractions ranging from the University city of Cambridge and the Cathedral city of Ely, to glorious, often deserted, sandy beaches, lots of seaside fun, outdoor pursuits and the unspoilt waterways of The Broads. National Trust places in East Anglia are equally varied, ranging from the magnificent Blickling Hall in Norfolk, the impressive rotunda at Ickworth, near Bury St. Edmunds, the elegant Anglesey Abbey, to the dramatic coastline at Dunwich Heath, with its neighbouring RSPB sanctuary and the Anglo-Saxon royal burial site at Sutton Hoo.
- Current cottage
- Holiday cottage
place to visit
- Cluster of pins Shows number of grouped pins. Zoom in to see individual pins
- Bury St Edmunds Theatre and musical events
- Breckland heaths and the Fens
- Newmarket races
- Suffolk coast.
- Bird watching
- Horse riding
- Nature trails.
National Trust places to visit
- A Georgian Italianate palace in an idyllic English landscape
- Theatre Royal, Bury St Edmunds
- The only surviving Regency playhouse in Britain
- Lavenham Guildhall
- Tudor building in the heart of the remarkably preserved medieval village of Lavenham
- Melford Hall
- Follow in Beatrix Potter's footsteps at this beautiful Tudor family home
- Wicken Fen National Nature Reserve
- The National Trust's oldest nature reserve, and England's most famous fen
- Anglesey Abbey, Gardens and Lode Mill
- Glorious Jacobean-style house with an eclectic collection, within outstanding gardens with a working watermill
Comments from past visitors
- January 2013
- S Yorkshire
What it will cost
- VAT at the current rate
- Linen, heating and electricity (except where shown in the cottage details)
(not included in the price table above)
- A non-refundable £10 charge is not included, and will be added to the total price of your holiday to cover the cost of accidental breakages
- Unfortunately we cannot accept website bookings more than 15 months in advance. Please call 0844 800 2070 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to enquire about future cottage bookings and reservations.
- As part of the annual pricing review of all its cottages the National Trust reserves the right to move individual cottages up or down the price bands and to alter date breaks. We also reserve the right to charge supplements for certain cottages for specific dates covering special events, e.g. Rosetta Cottages on the Isle of Wight during Cowes week. We will notify you of any special event supplements at the time of booking.