Woodlark formerly Coastguard Apartment 1
Dunwich Heath, Saxmundham, Suffolk+ Add to favourites
This section of the page features an image gallery, so if you're using a screen reader you may wish to jump to the main content.
With fabulous views over the landscape of Dunwich Heath and Beach from every window, this first floor apartment occupies an enviable position. The largest of the three apartments in a building that was once home to the Coastguard it now offers excellent accommodation for a couple or family.
This peaceful location is a bird watchers paradise with the heath on your doorstep attracting special species such as nightjar, woodlark and warblers. It neighbours impressive RSPB Minsmere where you can watch rare and migrating birds in the coastal lagoons. Hours of fun can be had exploring the vast, family friendly beach or taking part in the many activities on offer from pond dipping to bug hunting before returning for a well-deserved cake from the tea-room.
For a change of scenery the pretty seaside towns of Southwold and Aldeburgh are a short drive away. If you are looking for other ways to entertain your family during your stay we run events and activities here and at many of our Suffolk properties throughout the year. For inspiration click on the ‘Nearby’ tab above.
The cottage's layout
- First floor
- kitchen/diner, sitting room, shower room and lavatory, two bedrooms (1 double and 1 twin).
Heating: Night storage heating included.
Garden: Shared grass area in front of apartments.
Parking: Parking in designated area.
Please Note: This apartment is situated over the gift shop/tea room which is open daily.
The apartments are accessed via a shared stairway.
Offers: Holiday Cottage guests have free entry to Sutton Hoo and selected local National Trust properties during their stay, listings in cottage welcome folder.
Short breaks bookable within 4 weeks of the start date all year at this cottage.
Things to see and do nearby
- East Anglia
The ancient kingdom of East Anglia has preserved much of its unspoilt character, rural landscape, architecture and traditions with attractions ranging from the University city of Cambridge and the Cathedral city of Ely, to glorious, often deserted, sandy beaches, lots of seaside fun, outdoor pursuits and the unspoilt waterways of The Broads. National Trust places in East Anglia are equally varied, ranging from the magnificent Blickling Hall in Norfolk, the impressive rotunda at Ickworth, near Bury St. Edmunds, the elegant Anglesey Abbey, to the dramatic coastline at Dunwich Heath, with its neighbouring RSPB sanctuary and the Anglo-Saxon royal burial site at Sutton Hoo.
- Current cottage
- Holiday cottage
place to visit
- Cluster of pins Shows number of grouped pins. Zoom in to see individual pins
- RSPB Minsmere
- bird watching
- nature trails
National Trust places to visit
- Dunwich Heath: Coastal Centre and Beach
- Coastal lowland heath sandy cliffs and beach, rich in wildlife, offering tranquillity and excellent views
- Orford Ness National Nature Reserve
- Internationally important nature reserve, with a fascinating 20th-century military history
- Sutton Hoo
- Awe-inspiring Anglo-Saxon royal burial site
- Elizabethan House Museum
- Delightful treasury of 16th-century domestic history
Comments from past visitors
- October 2012
Malcolm & Denise Waddington
Carole, Shawn & Zak
Liz & Kevin
What it will cost
- VAT at the current rate
- Linen, heating and electricity (except where shown in the cottage details)
(not included in the price table above)
- A non-refundable £10 charge is not included, and will be added to the total price of your holiday to cover the cost of accidental breakages
- Unfortunately we cannot accept website bookings more than 15 months in advance. Please call 0344 335 1287 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to enquire about future cottage bookings and reservations.
- As part of the annual pricing review of all its cottages the National Trust reserves the right to move individual cottages up or down the price bands and to alter date breaks. We also reserve the right to charge supplements for certain cottages for specific dates covering special events, e.g. Rosetta Cottages on the Isle of Wight during Cowes week. We will notify you of any special event supplements at the time of booking.