St Margaret, Kent+ Add to favourites
This section of the page features an image gallery, so if you're using a screen reader you may wish to jump to the main content.
Standing in one of the most dramatic and well-known locations in Britain; adjoining the beautiful Victorian lighthouse and positioned on top of the White Cliffs of Dover; the cottage has outstanding views of the English Channel and the coast of France. Guests have access to the grounds after hours and can enjoy evening views of the French coastline as they watch ships pass in the channel.
The cottage's layout
- Ground floor
- entrance lobby, bathroom with shower over bath, steps up to kitchen/dining room, sitting room with log effect electric fire, two bedrooms (1 twin and 1 double) and separate lavatory.
Heating: Electric convector heating.
Approach to the cottage: The unadopted lane that leads to the cottage is rough and uneven in parts.
Parking: Adjacent to the cottage.
Garden: There is a small enclosed courtyard area. The grounds are fenced in from the cliffs edge but young children should be supervised.
General Information: The lighthouse and foghorn are no longer operational. The lighthouse is open during the season and visitors use the lawn adjacent to the cottage.
- Let starts
- Min stay
- Dogs allowed
- Cottage ref
- Acorn rating What's this?
- Pub nearby
- Coast nearby
- Railway nearby
- Single storey
- Remote location
- Tumble dryer
- Washing machine
- Double bed
- Accessible for ambulant disabled people
- If you would like a copy of the access statement for this cottage please call the booking office on 0844 335 1287
Things to see and do nearby
- South East England
The dense population of the south-east of England may not make it the obvious choice for a holiday destination, but that's to under-estimate or overlook many of its hidden charms. The Isle of Wight may well be the most obvious holiday destination in the area and the short ferry crossing really does take you to a unique holiday destination. Further east, the scenery is varied yet distinctive with the South Downs rolling down to the cliffs at Beachy Head, the sparsely wooded heathland of the Ashdown Forest and the intricate landscapes of the Weald. Closer to London are some gems which equally deserve a weekend away or longer holiday, including the majestic Thames Valley with its magnificent historic houses and beautiful varied countryside, offering some of the most beautiful scenery in Southern England. Kent, meanwhile, deserves its title of the Garden of England and the National Trust protects some of the best stretches of countryside and many fine houses and outstanding gardens. Apart from houses such as Bateman's, much-loved family home of Rudyard Kipling, the enchanting Bodiam Castle, Petworth House and Park with its sumptuous interiors and rolling parkland, Polesden Lacey on the North Downs and Chartwell, family home of Sir Winston Churchill, the Trust also owns several glorious gardens including Nymans Garden, Sheffield Park Garden and Sissinghurst Castle Garden.
- Current cottage
- Holiday cottage
place to visit
- Cluster of pins Shows number of grouped pins. Zoom in to see individual pins
- Holiday cottage guests are welcome to enjoy a free tour of the lighthouse during normal opening hours and have private access to the grounds in the evenings to enjoy views of the French coast.
- Horse riding
National Trust places to visit
Comments from past visitors
Peter Jones & Trystan Williams
- April 2012
Jo Parry & Family
What it will cost
- VAT at the current rate
- Linen, heating and electricity (except where shown in the cottage details)
(not included in the price table above)
- A non-refundable £10 charge is not included, and will be added to the total price of your holiday to cover the cost of accidental breakages
- Unfortunately we cannot accept website bookings more than 15 months in advance. Please call 0844 335 1287 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to enquire about future cottage bookings and reservations.
- As part of the annual pricing review of all its cottages the National Trust reserves the right to move individual cottages up or down the price bands and to alter date breaks. We also reserve the right to charge supplements for certain cottages for specific dates covering special events, e.g. Rosetta Cottages on the Isle of Wight during Cowes week. We will notify you of any special event supplements at the time of booking.