Kendal, Cumbria+ Add to favourites
This section of the page features an image gallery, so if you're using a screen reader you may wish to jump to the main content.
Built in the sixteenth century, Holeslack Farmhouse is a Grade II listed building retaining many original and unique features including a spiral staircase and seventeenth-century oak cupboards. It is a spacious and welcoming house with a large garden which makes it ideal for family groups. There are distant views of Sizergh Castle and across the surrounding countryside.
The farmhouse is on the Sizergh Castle estate that stands at the gateway to the Lake District and is set in 1600 acres of limestone countryside. You can explore the numerous walks across the estate, many with panoramic views across Morecambe Bay and the Lakeland fells. On your ‘to do list’ should be the popular local walk along Scout Scar, a spectacular limestone pavement.
This an excellent location, just 15 minutes drive from Windermere and 10 minutes from the market town of Kendal, when in need of cafes, restaurants and shops. It offers easy access to the Winster and Lyth valleys, beautiful areas for walking and cycling.
The National Trust has events and activities at Sizergh Castle to appeal to all ages. Visit the web pages by clicking on the nearby tab, above, to see details of events, activities and garden highlights when planning your holiday.
The cottage's layout
- Ground floor
- large farmhouse kitchen with wood burning stove, dining room, sitting room with multi-fuel stove.
- First floor
- four bedrooms (2 doubles and 2 twins), 2 bathrooms with showers over bath.
************* the cottage shower room has been completely refurbished and is now a bathroom with a shower over the bath. A wood burning stove replaces the Rayburn in the kitchen. ***********************
Heating: Oil central heating included.
Garden: A large enclosed garden to the front and side of the house.
Parking: Parking for up to three cars at the end of the track leading to the house.
The final approach track is quite steep so arrival in daylight is recommended.
Please note: The washing machine is situated in the adjoining outhouse.
Water pressure in the cottage can vary at certain times of the year.
- Let starts
- Min stay
- Dogs allowed
- Cottage ref
- Acorn rating What's this?
- Open fire / stove
- Washing machine
- Double bed
Things to see and do nearby
- North West England
The North West of England is most famous for its beautiful Lake District, which has inspired so many poets and authors over the centuries. Spectacular scenery and a feast of local produce to try provides a wonderful way to enjoy a summer holiday, romantic break or family gathering. This is an area to seek out active enjoyment; to walk, climb on the mountains, to sail and fish on the lakes and tarns, cycle or challenge yourself to a high rope walk. For the less energetic who, nevertheless want to enjoy the spectacular scenery, there are some fantastic pubs and restaurants where you can enjoy local, seasonal produce, such as Herdwick meat, Morecambe Bay shrimps, locally made cheese, Cumberland sausage, sticky toffee pudding or a local beer - there are 13 micro breweries in Cumbria. The National Trust cares for a quarter of the Lake District, including the central fell area, the major valley heads and six of the main lakes and much of their shoreline. All of our cottages are set in beautiful Lake District countryside.
- Lake District
The spectacular Lake District is considered by many to be the jewel in England\'s crown, offering the country\'s highest mountains, most stunning scenery, and loveliest countryside. Above all, it is a place to seek out active enjoyment; to walk, climb on the mountains, to sail and fish on the lakes. The National Trust protects about a quarter of the Lake District, including the central fell area, the major valley heads, and six of the main lakes and much of their shoreline. Among the National Trust\'s historic properties are two houses of immense literary heritage. The Georgian Wordsworth House in Cockermouth is the birthplace of the poet William Wordsworth, and Hill Top, a petite 17th-century house, in the hamlet of Near Sawrey, is where Beatrix Potter wrote many of her children\'s stories.
- Current cottage
- Holiday cottage
place to visit
- Cluster of pins Shows number of grouped pins. Zoom in to see individual pins
- Visit www.gocumbria.co.uk
- Pony Trekking
- Walking and visit www.ntlakesoutdoors.org.uk
National Trust places to visit
- Sizergh Castle and Garden
- Beautiful medieval house, extended in Elizabethan times, surrounded by rich gardens and estate in Cumbria's special limestone country
- Fell Foot Park
- Country park beside Lake Windermere
- Windermere and Troutbeck
- Fine walking country around the shores of Windermere, including Bridge House and the Footprint Building
- Hill Top
- Delightful small 17th-century farmhouse where Beatrix Potter wrote many of her famous children's stories
- Cartmel Priory Gatehouse
- 14th-century gatehouse of medieval priory
- 17th-century Lake District stone and slate house, former home of a wealthy farming family
Comments from past visitors
John and Mia
- April 2012
- Jersey, Channel Islands
- December 2006
What it will cost
- VAT at the current rate
- Linen, heating and electricity (except where shown in the cottage details)
(not included in the price table above)
- A non-refundable £10 charge is not included, and will be added to the total price of your holiday to cover the cost of accidental breakages
- Unfortunately we cannot accept website bookings more than 15 months in advance. Please call 0344 335 1287 or email email@example.com to enquire about future cottage bookings and reservations.
- As part of the annual pricing review of all its cottages the National Trust reserves the right to move individual cottages up or down the price bands and to alter date breaks. We also reserve the right to charge supplements for certain cottages for specific dates covering special events, e.g. Rosetta Cottages on the Isle of Wight during Cowes week. We will notify you of any special event supplements at the time of booking.