Award winning cottages
National Trust holiday cottages win at the British Travel Awards 2012.
Murlough Gate Lodge
County Down+ Add to favourites
This section of the page features an image gallery, so if you're using a screen reader you may wish to jump to the main content.
Built in the 1870s for the Marquess of Downshire, this charming stone cottage is located on the edge of Murlough National Nature Reserve. The cottage enjoys glorious views to the north over Dundrum Inner Bay, a sanctuary for thousands of birds, and to the South the Mountains of Mourne, which provide some of the best hill walking in Ireland. The beach continues several miles to the town of Newcastle and the small village of Dundrum is within walking distance.
Check out time on Sundays is now 12pm.
The cottage's layout
- Ground floor
- kitchen, dining room and sitting room with open fires, bathroom with shower over bath.
- First floor
- two bedrooms (1 double with 5' bed and 1 twin).
The cot in this cottage is a travel cot. Oil central heating included. Parking area for two cars to the front of the cottage. There is an enclosed back garden with picnic table.
- Let starts
- Min stay
- Dogs allowed
- Cottage ref
- Acorn rating What's this?
- Pub nearby
- Beach nearby
- Open Fire / Stove
- Coast nearby
- Tumble Dryer
- Double bed
- Washing Machine
- If you would like a copy of the access statement for this cottage please call the booking office on 0844 800 20 70
Things to see and do nearby
- Northern Ireland
Northern Ireland offers some of the finest scenery in the British Isles. From the magnificent Causeway coast to the wooded Glens of Antrim, from the sheltered waters of Lough Erne to the romantic Mountains of Mourne, the region boasts mile after mile of verdant, unspoilt countryside, quiet roads and long sandy beaches. The National Trust in Northern Ireland protects 120 miles of coastline and 40 square miles of open country side from sections of the North Coast Path to Murlough National Nature Reserve, home to an array of attractive plants and birds. A selection of holiday cottages are available in the counties of Antrim, Down and Fermanagh. Stay at Crom Demesne and wander through this amazing array of open space and wildlife. Relax at the tranquil and beautiful Rose Cottage at Florence Court in Fermanagh or take in the stunning views of of the Mountains of Mourne from a holiday cottage on the shores of Dundrum Inner Bay. Close by you can visit a number of superb National Trust properties including the fascinating house and gardens of Mount Stewart and Castle Ward. Visit the wonderful Castle Coole in Enniskillen or enjoy the spectacular scenery from the Giant's Causeway, Northern Ireland's only World Heritage Site.
- Current cottage
- Holiday cottage
place to visit
- Cluster of pins Shows number of grouped pins. Zoom in to see individual pins
- Dundrum Castle
- Tollymore Forest Park
- Mourne Mountains
- Belfast city
- Bird watching
- Nature Trails
- Pony Trekking
National Trust places to visit
- Rowallane Garden
- A true plantsman's garden in an informal style -- with trees, shrubs and plants from around the world
- Castle Ward
- Interesting 18th-century mansion, famed for its mixture of architectural styles
- Derrymore House
- Late 18th-century thatched house in gentrified vernacular style
- Mount Stewart House, Garden and Temple of the Winds
- Neo-classical house and celebrated gardens
- The Crown Bar
- The most famous pub in Belfast
Comments from past visitors
Karin & Joost
- February 2007
Nick & Ian
Rosemary, David, Christian & Lydia
What it will cost
- VAT at the current rate
- Linen, heating and electricity (except where shown in the cottage details)
(not included in the price table above)
- A non-refundable £10 charge is not included, and will be added to the total price of your holiday to cover the cost of accidental breakages
- Unfortunately we cannot accept website bookings more than 15 months in advance. Please call 0844 800 2070 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to enquire about future cottage bookings and reservations.
- As part of the annual pricing review of all its cottages the National Trust reserves the right to move individual cottages up or down the price bands and to alter date breaks. We also reserve the right to charge supplements for certain cottages for specific dates covering special events, e.g. Rosetta Cottages on the Isle of Wight during Cowes week. We will notify you of any special event supplements at the time of booking.