near Dolgellau, Gwynedd+ Add to favourites
This section of the page features an image gallery, so if you're using a screen reader you may wish to jump to the main content.
This small, comfortable cottage lies in a secluded woodland setting on the National Trust’s Dolmelynllyn estate within the Snowdonia National Park. A charming cottage with a quirky layout, ideal for romantic get-a-ways. Predominantly of timber construction, it was built in the nineteenth-century as an observatory, housing a telescope for nearby Dolmelynllyn Hall. The scenery is spectacular and varied, and Nant Las enjoys views across the valley to rugged hill country. Nearby, and easily accessible by footpath, is Rhaiadr Ddu, one of the most spectacular waterfalls in Wales.
The cottage's layout
- Ground floor
- kitchen, bathroom with shower over bath, walk-through bedroom (1 double with antique brass/iron bed) with steps to dining/sitting room with multi-fuel stove, and small veranda.
Heating: Electric storage heating included.
Approach to Cottage: A winding and uneven track takes you up through the woods to the cottage.
Parking: Adjacent to the cottage.
Television: A TV and DVD player are provided but there is no television reception. Guests may wish to bring their own DVDs.
Things to see and do nearby
- North Wales
Renowned for the dramatic mountain scenery of Snowdonia with its lakes and rock-strewn mountain passes, North Wales also offers a surprisingly varied countryside, from the beautiful Conwy Valley to the tranquillity of the Isle of Anglesey. The coastline is equally diverse, with sandy beaches, rocky coves and spectacular cliffs - and standing proudly over the land and seascape are some of the country's mightiest castles such as Penrhyn. The National Trust owns some 60,000 acres of coast and countryside in North Wales, including some of the majestic mountains of Snowdonia, unspoilt coastline on the Llyn, and an array of historic houses and castles.
Some of the most varied landscapes of North Wales lie within Snowdonia. The peaks of Snowdon rise to over 3,000 feet above sea level and provide some of the most magnificent scenery in the region while the dramatic slopes of the Arans are less frequented and offer stunning views and tranquillity. This is a great base from which to explore beautiful Betws-y-Coed with its interesting shops; the market town of Dolgellau; spectacular Cader Idris and the majestic Mawddach estuary. Several of the cottages are situated on the Ysbyty estate which is the Trust?s largest farmed estate consisting of 51 farms, 20,000 acres and over 500 acres of woodlands. National Trust places in and around Snowdonia include Craflwyn estate, Penhryn Castle, the shop and pub at Beddgelert, Ysbyty estate, Ty Mawr Wybrant, Aberconwy House, Conwy Suspension Bridge and Bodnant Gardens. Other attractions and places of interest include Llanwrst, Cerrigydrudion, Ruthin, Bala Lake, Llandudno, Conwy, Nant Gwynant Valley, Porthmadog, Criccieth, Portmeirion, Betws-y-Coed, Llanberis, Harlech, Welsh Mountain Railway and the Welsh Slate Museum at Llanberis. Activities in the area include walking, birdwatching, fishing, canoeing, mountain biking and rock climbing.
- Current cottage
- Holiday cottage
place to visit
- Cluster of pins Shows number of grouped pins. Zoom in to see individual pins
Comments from past visitors
- December 2013
- November 2013
Maria & Andrew
What it will cost
- VAT at the current rate
- Linen, heating and electricity (except where shown in the cottage details)
(not included in the price table above)
- A non-refundable £10 charge is not included, and will be added to the total price of your holiday to cover the cost of accidental breakages
- Unfortunately we cannot accept website bookings more than 15 months in advance. Please call 0344 335 1287 or email email@example.com to enquire about future cottage bookings and reservations.
- As part of the annual pricing review of all its cottages the National Trust reserves the right to move individual cottages up or down the price bands and to alter date breaks. We also reserve the right to charge supplements for certain cottages for specific dates covering special events, e.g. Rosetta Cottages on the Isle of Wight during Cowes week. We will notify you of any special event supplements at the time of booking.