The Squire's Retreat
Cromer, Norfolk+ Add to favourites
This section of the page features an image gallery, so if you're using a screen reader you may wish to jump to the main content.
Experience the elegance of life at the heart of a grand country estate in this spacious apartment, furnished with original pieces from the Wyndham family collection, four posters and a bathroom for every bedroom. 'The Retreat' was created from a conversion of the former laundry wing for the last of the Felbrigg Squires when the austerity of winters in the Hall became too much. French doors lead directly out into the West Garden with its ornate brick summer house still referred to as 'Wyndham’s Necessary House'!
There are numerous way-marked walks across the parkland, through the woods and around the lake, yet the apartment is secluded in its corner setting within the Hall courtyard. Free entry to the Hall and Gardens during open hours and access to the West Garden at all times.
The cottage's layout
- Ground floor
- Large entrance hall with wide stairs to first floor, sitting room, dining room with French doors to garden, kitchen, boot room leading to utility and lavatory
- First floor
- 4 bedrooms (2 doubles with 6' wide four poster beds, en-suite bathrooms with bath and separate shower cubicles, 1 double with 6' bed which can be a twin on request, 1 twin with an en-suite shower room), shower room.
Heating: Oil central heating included.
Garden: The West Garden is beside the gardens visitor route but screened and marked as private to the apartment.
Parking: Car parking for up to four cars in a shared private parking area close by.
There are 3 shallow steps leading up to the front door and 3 leading down from the French doors to the garden. Internally both floors are level.
Offers: Holiday Cottage guests have free entry to Felbrigg Hall and selected local National Trust properties during their stay (listings in cottage welcome folder).
- Let starts
- Min stay
- Dogs allowed
- Cottage ref
- Acorn rating What's this?
- Pub nearby
- Coast nearby
- Railway nearby
- Garden appeal
- Tumble dryer
- Washing machine
- Double bed
Things to see and do nearby
- East Anglia
The ancient kingdom of East Anglia has preserved much of its unspoilt character, rural landscape, architecture and traditions with attractions ranging from the University city of Cambridge and the Cathedral city of Ely, to glorious, often deserted, sandy beaches, lots of seaside fun, outdoor pursuits and the unspoilt waterways of The Broads. National Trust places in East Anglia are equally varied, ranging from the magnificent Blickling Hall in Norfolk, the impressive rotunda at Ickworth, near Bury St. Edmunds, the elegant Anglesey Abbey, to the dramatic coastline at Dunwich Heath, with its neighbouring RSPB sanctuary and the Anglo-Saxon royal burial site at Sutton Hoo.
- Current cottage
- Holiday cottage
place to visit
- Cluster of pins Shows number of grouped pins. Zoom in to see individual pins
- Norwich city
- Norfolk Broads
- North Norfolk coast
- towns of Sheringham and Holt
- weekly markets and auctions
- Nature reserves
- seal trips.
- Bird watching
- Nature Trails
National Trust places to visit
- Felbrigg Hall, Gardens and Estate
- One of the most elegant country houses in East Anglia
- Sheringham Park
- Spectacular landscape park and woodland garden with miles of footpaths and stunning coastal views
- Blickling Estate
- Magnificent Jacobean house with gardens and park
- Blakeney National Nature Reserve
- An extensive area of saltmarsh, vegetated shingle, dunes and grazing marsh
- Heigham Holmes
- A delicate and unique island in the Norfolk Broads
Comments from past visitors
- February 2014
- South Gloucestershire
- January 2013
What it will cost
- VAT at the current rate
- Linen, heating and electricity (except where shown in the cottage details)
(not included in the price table above)
- A non-refundable £10 charge is not included, and will be added to the total price of your holiday to cover the cost of accidental breakages
- Christmas Supplement - 18 Dec 2016 to 31 Dec 2016 GBP35 per night
- Christmas Supplement - 18 Dec 2015 to 31 Dec 2015 GBP35 per night
- Christmas Supplement - 18 Dec 2014 to 31 Dec 2014 GBP35 per night
- Unfortunately we cannot accept website bookings more than 15 months in advance. Please call 0344 335 1287 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to enquire about future cottage bookings and reservations.
- As part of the annual pricing review of all its cottages the National Trust reserves the right to move individual cottages up or down the price bands and to alter date breaks. We also reserve the right to charge supplements for certain cottages for specific dates covering special events, e.g. Rosetta Cottages on the Isle of Wight during Cowes week. We will notify you of any special event supplements at the time of booking.