nr Cockermouth, Lake District, Cumbria+ Add to favourites
This section of the page features an image gallery, so if you're using a screen reader you may wish to jump to the main content.
This typical Lake District farmhouse stands right by the southern end of Loweswater in the peaceful north-west corner of the National Park. It is full of charm and character with spacious rooms including a large farmhouse kitchen that makes it ideal for family holidays.
The local National Trust Ranger lives next door and is on hand to help with boats and local advice. The cottage is set well away from the road and is surrounded by woodland and open farmland with gorgeous views across the valley.
There are lovely walks straight from the doorstep, including the four mile walk around the lake or to Kirkstile Inn just two miles away. If feeling more energetic, a strenuous hike, to the top of Melbreak offers panoramic views of the Buttermere valley.
The National Trust has events and activities in the Lake District to appeal to all ages throughout the year. Visit the web pages by clicking on the nearby tab, above, to see details of events, nature, walking and cycling trails when planning your holiday.
The cottage's layout
- Ground floor
- Large kitchen/dining room and sitting room with open fire.
- First floor
- three bedrooms (1 double with ensuite shower and lavatory, 2 twins), bathroom with separate shower cubicle and lavatory.
Heating: The cottage is heated by a ground source heat pump.
Garden: There is an outside seating area for use by visitors to the holiday cottage. The cottage and lake
are surrounded by plenty of open space where children can play under adult supervision.
Parking: There is parking available next to the cottage.
Television/Signal: A television and DVD player are provided but there is no television reception. Visitors may wish to bring their own DVD's.
Utilities/Electricals: The washing machine and tumble dryer is a combined washer/dryer.
Logs/Charcoal: Fuel for the fire can be bought from the warden who lives in the adjoining cottage.
Offers: A rowing boat is available for hire from the warden next door.
Short breaks book able within 4 weeks of the start date all year at this cottage.
- Let starts
- Min stay
- Dogs allowed
- Yes, 2
- Cottage ref
- Acorn rating What's this?
- Dogs welcome
- Open fire / stove
- Pub nearby
- Tumble dryer
- Washing machine
- Double bed
Things to see and do nearby
- North West England
The North West of England is most famous for its beautiful Lake District, which has inspired so many poets and authors over the centuries. Spectacular scenery and a feast of local produce to try provides a wonderful way to enjoy a summer holiday, romantic break or family gathering. This is an area to seek out active enjoyment; to walk, climb on the mountains, to sail and fish on the lakes and tarns, cycle or challenge yourself to a high rope walk. For the less energetic who, nevertheless want to enjoy the spectacular scenery, there are some fantastic pubs and restaurants where you can enjoy local, seasonal produce, such as Herdwick meat, Morecambe Bay shrimps, locally made cheese, Cumberland sausage, sticky toffee pudding or a local beer - there are 13 micro breweries in Cumbria. The National Trust cares for a quarter of the Lake District, including the central fell area, the major valley heads and six of the main lakes and much of their shoreline. All of our cottages are set in beautiful Lake District countryside.
- Lake District
The spectacular Lake District is considered by many to be the jewel in England\'s crown, offering the country\'s highest mountains, most stunning scenery, and loveliest countryside. Above all, it is a place to seek out active enjoyment; to walk, climb on the mountains, to sail and fish on the lakes. The National Trust protects about a quarter of the Lake District, including the central fell area, the major valley heads, and six of the main lakes and much of their shoreline. Among the National Trust\'s historic properties are two houses of immense literary heritage. The Georgian Wordsworth House in Cockermouth is the birthplace of the poet William Wordsworth, and Hill Top, a petite 17th-century house, in the hamlet of Near Sawrey, is where Beatrix Potter wrote many of her children\'s stories.
- Current cottage
- Holiday cottage
place to visit
- Cluster of pins Shows number of grouped pins. Zoom in to see individual pins
- Visit www.gocumbria.co.uk
- Pony Trekking and visit www.ntlakesoutdoors.org.uk
National Trust places to visit
- Buttermere and Ennerdale
- Tranquil area of dramatic fells, farms and woodland, encompassing three lakes
- Borrowdale: Force Crag Mine
- Last mineral mine processing mill to operate in the Lake District
- Wordsworth House and Garden
- Birthplace and childhood home of William Wordsworth -- a 'living' 1770s townhouse
- Spectacular and varied landscape around Derwentwater
- Wasdale, Eskdale and Duddon
- Vast area of open country -- valleys, mountains, rivers and lake -- from wild Wasdale to the Duddon Estuary
- Grasmere and Great Langdale
- Picturesque and varied landscape with Wordsworth connections
Comments from past visitors
Steve & Jane Greaves, Lin & Mark Giddings
What it will cost
- VAT at the current rate
- Linen, heating and electricity (except where shown in the cottage details)
(not included in the price table above)
- A non-refundable £10 charge is not included, and will be added to the total price of your holiday to cover the cost of accidental breakages
- Unfortunately we cannot accept website bookings more than 15 months in advance. Please call 0344 335 1287 or email email@example.com to enquire about future cottage bookings and reservations.
- As part of the annual pricing review of all its cottages the National Trust reserves the right to move individual cottages up or down the price bands and to alter date breaks. We also reserve the right to charge supplements for certain cottages for specific dates covering special events, e.g. Rosetta Cottages on the Isle of Wight during Cowes week. We will notify you of any special event supplements at the time of booking.